The Donald Trump campaign says it won’t file a lawsuit over a tweet that suggested Hillary Clinton had not been properly vetted as secretary of state.
Trump tweeted that he was disappointed by the fact that the Democratic nominee had not yet been confirmed as president, calling her “the most corrupt person ever to seek public office.”
Trump’s tweet, which was later deleted, sparked widespread criticism.
“Crooked Hillary has been dishonest with the American people for a long time,” the president-elect wrote.
“I will fight for our country no matter what.
She has no business running the country!”
Trump also defended his tweet in a Friday interview with Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly.
“It was not my intent to disrespect anyone, it was just not my intention,” Trump said.
“And I’m very proud of that tweet.”
“And I think what we saw is the other side of that,” he continued.
“She was so far ahead of me on the polls, she was getting up there, she wasn’t even on the ballot yet.
I was the one who was making a big speech and she was sitting there, and she didn’t even get on the ballots.
So that’s what I’m trying to figure out.”
But Trump’s tweet did not sit well with some supporters of the Democratic presidential nominee.
“The truth is, Hillary Clinton is a corrupt, weak person,” Trump told O’Brien on Thursday.
“Look, I’m the only one who can beat her in November.
I’m going to beat her.
I’ll beat her badly.
And she’s going to be a loser.
So I hope I didn’t disrespect her.”
O’Reilly also weighed in on the matter.
“He has to apologize to the American public for what he said,” O’Donnell said of Trump.
“This was not a statement he was making on his own behalf, it’s what he tweeted out.”
Trump did not respond to a request for comment.